Should food be a topic that requires us to take up and defend a political or ethical position?

As I sit writing this, I realise with a mild degree of surprise that today (just for a day) I joined the growing ranks of an insidious movement. Their members walk amongst us under the guise of family members, neighbours, and friends. They sow their seeds of idealism across social media; slowly infusing themselves into every facet of cultural life. These people are not terrorist sleeper cells – no – they are far more dangerous than that. I am talking about vegetarians.

For most of my conscious life, my eating habits were something that remained wedded into an unquestioned part of my identity. I, along with 94% of New Zealanders regularly eat meat[1], to the point where a day without it is an oddity. However, the time has come to redefine the way which we think about food; to make, in the words of Dr Emma Sharp, “ruptures in the logic that sustains “the alternative”, “the conventional” and other false dualisms.”[2]

The very language I used to describe vegetarianism (though in jest), is a central mechanism underpinning the hegemony of the meat industry. Why must we think of eating meat as ‘normal’? Why is the erosion of ethical and environmental sanctity accepted as a necessary evil to sustain our consumption? This module has helped me to understand the importance of food for society; to realise that to ‘defend a political or ethical position’ regarding food is not only productive, but necessary to move forward as a conscious consumer.

References

[1] Vegetarianism & veganism. Retrieved April 2, 2019, from https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/healthy-living/eating-drinking/v/vegetarianism-veganism/

[2] Sharp, E.L. 2017. (Re)assembling foodscapes with the Crowd Grown Feast. Area 50(2):266-273.