Most people would answer no, but not my little brother.

The story happened when I was in China, trying to get my little brother to sleep by naming every kind of food with (to bore) him and categorising them by types pf cuisines. I started by dumplings, steam buns and all the Chinese food I could think of. My brother interrupted me and said: “and steak.” “No, steak is Western food.” I said. He was shocked to find out that one of his all-time favourites is surprisingly not Chinese.

It’s funny how a Chinese 6-year-old thinks that steak is Chinese food. The reality is, steak along with pizzas and fries are consumed as much as rice and other Chinese dishes by younger generations of Chinese. Also, the food delivery service in China has matured to the point that Chinese people can have steak delivered to their doorstep.  

I had steak for breakfast for nearly 6 months when I was 14 although I knew that steak is not Chinese or for breakfast. But hey, it’s in China, we define how we eat these ‘exotic’ food. Unlike how Titi bird was a part of Maori culture because it was not eaten by the Europeans, steak can be a part of modern Chinese cultural phenomenon even if it is originally from Europe. Steak is an important part of my brother’s experience of being Chinese in 2019 and according to him, as important as shrimp wonton and durian pizza.

reference

1. [1] Stevens, Michael J. 2006. Kāi Tahu me te Hopu Tītī ki Rakiura: An Exception to the ‘Colonial Rule’? The Journal of Pacific History 41(3):273-291.