For me, offering and recieving food has become synonymous with cultivating a sense of security. The biblical connections of sharing food prompted me to contemplate the modern-day expectation that, despite whether or not someone is religious, it is considered rude to not offer someone food.

I found that whenever I was at social events when I was younger, I would unconsciously find myself drifting towards food whenever I felt anxious, unwanted or isolated. I think this compulsion lies beyond the need for distraction, instead the answer perhaps lies in the idea that food serves as a symbol of love and care which transcends culture/religion. The apparent link between nutrtion as a crucial component to human survival seemed to emerge subconsciously at times I deemed myself to be in ‘danger’. Thus it makes sense that we subconsciously seek security in food as a symbol of acceptance, as non-verbal reassurance that we are cared for.

Similarly, bringing food to an occassion can be viewed as a contribution towards establishing this sense of security, of cementing your rightful place at a gathering. “Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them” [1] pinpoints a sense of security in sharing, that today replicates a sense of togetherness which can be universally recognised.

I think the religious incentive of providing and sharing meals has formed the foundation for a social conduct which has grown to disregard the cultural origin of food in exchange for recognising the underlying motives associated with offering and accepting food.

[1] John 6: 47-58 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+6&version=NRSV