What standards must be met to label something as art in regards to food and art based on food?

Food is only artful if it evokes emotion. That’s what art does. As so much of our national identity is expressed through rituals, the creation or consumption of specific meals can reflect emotional and cultural experiences.

Henry Hargreaves’ artwork depicted countries made of common representations of food, like a kiwifruit New Zealand. And it’s great art, but I’m talking about the meals which have a very personal cultural representation. Siliga David Setoga described living out his Samoan culture through sharing KFC with his famiy, which was highly comforting for him. In this way, any food which unites national culture and personal emotion must be classified as art.

This emotional significance is why sometimes I feel I’m not German enough, based off my distance at home from typical German cuisine. Don’t ask me what Germans eat, because I really don’t know. The only dish with any German significance to me – a potato gratin – doesn’t signify my culture, but rather my family. My Oma packed a lot of love into that dish, and so eating it in New Zealand is acknowledgement of our family, not of our Germanness. Cooking it is a ritual which creates more familiarity than any painting, pottery or prose ever could.

Culture is so dynamic that one single food could never mean the same thing to everyone.  Instead, specific meals can inspire emotion and appreciation for one’s culture in an artful way.