When I first read the food critic’s review of Grove Restaurant, my immediate reaction was quiet discomfort. At first, I could not understand what caused this reaction, but after some reflection, I now understand. It’s the idea of food as a symbol of status, and the subsequent judgement fine diners often then pass on the eating habits or diets of the poor. This blog is not an attack on any particular person. What I want to do is attack the idea of converting food into a status symbol. Allow me to make some of my own generalisations here, but one would not go to a fine dining restaurant for nourishment. Although it can be done purely for enjoyment, fine dining can also be used as a means to then use food as a signal of status. I argue that one could use this leverage on status as a means to perhaps pass judgement on the large family coming out of a fast food restaurant. I note that in speaking of KFC’s commercialised status, the comment by the critic is, “It’s the celebration of crap. The peculiar ability to regard some of the worst elements of capitalism as harmless fun, just because they make a product you like”[1].I would agree that fast food is a part of capitalism, but so is the unnecessary consumption of goods to establish status. The meal at the Grove cost $582 for two people [2]. this would buy eighty-eight people a meal at a standard inexpensive restaurant in Mumbai, India [3].

References.

1. Chapman, Madison and Simon Wilson. “The food critic and the rookie head to KFC.” The Spinoff, December 11, 2017. ↩
  2. Chapman, Madison and Simon Wilson. “The critic and the rookie go to The Grove, one of Auckland’s fanciest restaurants.”  The Spinoff, December 8, 2017.
  3.  “Cost of living in Mumbai.” Source, Numbeo, updated May 2019. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Mumbai