View this post on Instagram

it’s been about 2 years since I first created an image like this. I raided my kitchen cupboard in my old flat and took a photo of a bunch of different foods – including a protein bar, some sweaty leerdammer cheese, a handful of smarties and an almost-stale bagel (still looked cute tho).⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Back then, the image – and my message – was mildly controversial.⠀⠀ So much so that the DailyMail decided to do a damn piece on it lol god bless.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Thankfully today, the ‘no good or bad foods’ message has somewhat bLoWn uP in the foodie-instagram-infographic world. Which is cool.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ But !⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ As with all things that grow in popularity, messages can get diluted. So I’m just hear to remind you that although it might seem that this message exist to just serve #SeLFLoVe – it isn’t just another ‘positive vibes only’ type quote to be put on a ombre background in gold writing.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Someone recommending you to remove language like ‘junk food’, ‘superfood’ and ‘syns’ might sound really nuanced and ‘woowoo’. But let me tell you, this mindset shift is the foundation of the positive relationship I have with food now.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ In between the borderline terrifying DM’s I have received from cultish-like weight watchers members, I had a lot of messages following my post on Monday, asking where to start with this whole mindset. Although everyone’s journey will need to be unique – I will tell you it’s difficult to have a genuine, guilt-free relationship with food whilst you’re still calling a bag of chips and a gregs donut a ‘cheat meal’.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Unless you’re eating it whilst on a date w/ someone who isn’t your partner, of course. ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Thoughts *can* become feelings.⠀⠀ *ok ‘woowoo’ there.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Majority of the time, it’s not the fucking donut holding us back from having a really fun chilled relationship food, it’s our inner-narrative. It’s the words we are using to describe foods. And it’s the associations we make about *ourselves* when we eat them.⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ good food > more nutrient-dense food⠀⠀ bad food > less nutrient-dense food⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ Try it. 🍏🥞🍑🥨🥝🍔🍍🍟🍭🧀

A post shared by lucy mountain (@thefashionfitnessfoodie) on