In the afterglow of the Power and Equity Research panel there was a growing sense of panic. This panic was rooted in the question: How can a researcher find balance? Each panel member discussed and outlined issues or barriers they had come across. It seemed each solution offered could be boiled down to finding balance. Due to the nature of the research being often centred on sensitive topics, emotionally attached participants or uncharted territory it came as no surprise that there were definite barriers in the research process. Balance seemed to be the foundation for many suggested solutions. For example, gathering information from participants is the main priority but you don’t want to be too cold or too friendly, or another example, there will be some battles but choose wisely because it is probably not possible to fight them all. Balance could be a solid goal  if a researcher wants to create a well rounded and ethically sound study, but, it seems so hard to obtain and the idea of trying to find it did create a panic in me. I am currently training for a marathon and balance is also a key component to training. During this time you are juggling time, energy, ability, food, life tasks, your emotional welfare and so much more. I gather research is not too dissimilar. However, I have not approached training with nativity. I know there will be challenges and I need to keep reminding myself that that will be okay. Almost all of our previous speakers have mentioned approaching research being aware of your prior or current knowledge and advised not to let your assumptions take the steering wheel. This allows you valuable awareness and can prepare you for the unknown challenges or contradictions you may face. Finding balance in all components of research is something to strive for but perhaps coming in as a somewhat blank slate allows the panic of rigid correctness to subside. We should approach research with self awareness, some caution, knowledge that challenges will arise and keep your  goal in mind, balance. There is no need to panic. 

The finish line fo my first half marathon, after a well blanked race and training regime.

The finish line fo my first half marathon after a well balanced race and training regime.