What does it mean to “weep in the archives”?

Benefits of crying are real—here are 4 of them to prove it | Well+Good

For me, it means connecting emotionally with the history that is – or isn’t – documented. It means expressing empathy with a community or a person separated from you by a vast expanse of time. It means recognising that there were real people – with real pain, real joy, and real sorrow – that lived through the history that we read of. 

Throughout Arts Scholars this year, and particularly in the past few weeks, I have come to recognise that emotion and research are inevitably intertwined. Whether through numbers or words, research tells the stories of people, contributing to a deeper understanding of humanity itself. Our approach and connection to these stories, much like to other people, are framed by our experiences, beliefs, values, and identity. Thus, how can we keep emotion out of the picture?

Kate Hannah, in her lecture, spoke of weeping in the archives, and such a personal connection to research struck a chord with me. Although this year has not found me weeping physically in archives, I have mourned the lack of knowledge I have of the nation in which I have lived all my life. I have grieved the lack of a connection to my identity as a Māori woman in Aotearoa. I have lamented over the fact that there is still so much pain caused by continuing colonisation. This mourning has directed my learning, framing the way that I consume research.

A historic drawing of the battle.

Approaching stories of the Battle of Rangiaowhia for my memory project, I was shocked by the way a pā that was home to who would generally be termed “non-combatants” was attacked. Women and children were targeted on the morning of a day many of them considered sacred. Whether 30 (as British records tell) or over 100 (as Māori oral history records) were casualties of this “battle”, it had such a profound impact on the community. The battle, or massacre as some remember it, left an iwi “landless” and so deeply affected some women, they named their children after it. 1 The pain did not cease when the war ended but continued for generations. Often, it seems that emotion is intentionally avoided in scholarship as if it muddies the waters of fact. Yet research naturally causes an emotional response through empathy. If an event so emotionally impacted the people of the time, why should we be stoic when reading of it?

Our history shapes who we are. Holding it at arm’s length to examine through an emotionless lens means that we neglect to acknowledge the humanity that connects us through time. Sometimes a cry in the archives is needed as we are reminded that research is personal and emotion is part of being human.