Covid-19 and the isolation which has resulted from this global shock has provided the majority of us with unprecedented amounts of free time. Curiously, despite not being an ‘artistic person’ this period of conflict has resulted in me feeling somewhat guilty for not translating this time into an artistic endeavour. Breaking down these feelings has led to some interesting questions for me surrounding the origin of ‘art’ and the nature of being creative in our current society. 

A very famous example of humanity using art to display conflict

The Scream very clearly shows an instance of art being utilised as means of unpacking an emotional conflict

My general failure to commit to an artistic attempt leads me to believe that I am simply not an artistic person, yet my feeling of obligation to turn this isolation period into something tangible has resulted in me questioning what constitutes an artistic person at all. Are only a lucky select few of us who are able to draw and paint ‘artistic?’ Or is there a more inherent drive to create which allows us to be considered an artist of some sort? If there is, it is no doubt showing itself whilst we’re stuck in isolation. I suspect that the desire to create art right now is a byproduct of free time combined with conflict, which has created a kind of stagnant confusion which we’d like to work through somehow. So why are some of us so dubious about the validity of making our own art at this time? The feeling of being obligated to create art in order to specifically break down an issue initially seemed to me dangerously near to reducing the authenticity of an artistic response. However, this is no doubt what humanity has always done: responded to conflict through self-expression (as is shown through Liberty Leading the People, and The Scream). So why do I feel this way? Perhaps it is the societal context that this particular conflict is occurring in which is muddling my perception of creativity and art.

In this environment of hyper-awareness of how we respond to change, and of an increasingly critical eye concerning validity and appropriateness, it is easy to feel unworthy of adding our imperfect interpretations to the mass of seemingly perfect artworks. This leads naturally to the dilemma of ‘art for art’s sake.’ My failure to actually attempt any art in isolation reflects that for the ‘unskilled’ we may very much have rejected ‘art for arts sake’ due to our increased exposure to ‘good’ art resulting in us losing confidence in the value of our own ‘not-so-good’ art.

Despite this art being considered “bad,” does that actually mean anything surrounding its value to the artist?

This way of thinking is also strangely rooted in the idea that art should always be ‘good’ by external standards, and that art is for others, rather than purely for ourselves. Our strongly capitalist society has brought us up with the idea that everything we produce must have a purpose or be financially beneficial; therefore, ruining any desire to create very poor art simply to unpack ones feelings on a matter. Therefore, whilst isolation may drag up a few buried artistic inclinations, my flawed conception of what is valuable and worth my time keeps me trapped in a loop of doubting my art and not starting anything.

Whilst this post fails to remedy this issue and my masterpiece remains un-started, it is interesting to break down and interrogate art in this time, particularly from the perspective of someone non-artistic. However, my experience may not be widely felt, so if you’ve had a completely different relationship with art in quarantine, let me know!