A brief history of New Zealand tramping and war.  

I was born in a backpack. Well… almost. Every weekend of my childhood my Father would plop me into a backpack to tramp a hill.  

I hated it.  

But now I’m almost twenty, life seems to have come full circle and I’m the one carrying a backpack up hills for fun. The hills have become my home; I crave the frosty mornings, the birdsong and the crisp mountain air.

“Amongst the high hills I have lived many of my happiest, most memorable, most tragic and most glorious days. … And, in our understanding of the hills, so we have come to appreciate the virtues and human qualities of our comrades, and, more than ever before, we have known ourselves.” W. Scott Gilkison (1940) 1

The term tramping itself is uniquely Kiwi. It originated from a German word meaning ‘to walk heavily’ and manages to encapsulate an entire culture of New Zealand outdoorsmanship in eight letters. New Zealanders have always been outdoor types, we are people of the land and sea. For many of us tramping is a way to immerse ourselves in our country’s wildly beautiful landscapes and get back to natureBut tramping hasn’t always been the way we know it now. 

It turns out it was war that created space and reason for tramping to become popularised in New ZealandThe end of the first world war solidified tramping as a staple Kiwi pastime. Before then it was reserved for a dedicated few, those that belonged to tramping clubs and spent their weekends building huts and trails. But after WWI returned servicemen and women found solace and stimulation in the outdoors[and] the two-day weekend became a cornerstone of Kiwi life. 2 Tramping became a hobby intrinsically tied with Kiwi culture and now we don’t know life without it.  

War technology also opened up a whole new world for trampers in New Zealand. Packs became more durable and clothing designed for combat provided more than satisfactory walking gear. Boots were able to tackle the wild terrain of our backcountry like never beforeThen came the rehydrated meal. During the 1940s trampers relied on rice and raisins, macaroni and cheese, and oatmeal to survive. Small amounts of dehydrated food were begged for from experimental science departments and many trampers built primitive dehydrators to try making their own. 3 But once the dehydrated meal was developed and commercialised, the world of tramping changed forever. Longer trips could be undertaken without the worry of pack weight or nutrition. 

Without war, tramping as we know it today simply would not exist. To me it almost seems that as I walk through those tracks in the hillsI am walking through history itself.

Image: Via New Zealand Geographic

1. Gilkison, W. Scott. (1940) Peaks, Packs and Mountain Tracks, Whitcombe & Tombs, Auckland, vol1, p.122
  2. Barnett, Shaun., Maclean, Chris., (2014) Tramping: A New Zealand History, War and Revival, p166-182
  3. Barnett, Shaun., Maclean, Chris., (2014) Tramping: A New Zealand History, War and Revival, p166-182